Apply to be a Board Member
The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring excellent management of the organization.
The role of the board is to govern the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce. Inherent in the board’s governance role are two functions: protect the public’s interest and enable the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to achieve its mission.
Board applications are accepted throughout the year.
Protect the Public’s Interest:
The first function of the board is to protect the public’s interest. The board’s job is to represent the public’s interest in assuring that the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce serves the membership and community effectively. The board accomplishes this oversight and evaluation function by keeping well informed about the activities of the Chamber and communicating appropriate information to the public. The board must make decisions that will guide the Chamber beyond concern for the mere survival of the chamber, the reputation of board members, or the jobs of employees.
Enable the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to achieve its mission: The second function of the board is to enable the Chamber to effectively and successfully achieve its mission. Mission Statement: The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce strives to cultivate a vital environment for commerce and create opportunities for Island businesses and organizations to prosper, while enriching the unique quality of life for every Islander.
The board has both formal and informal responsibilities.
- Hiring, and (if necessary) firing the Executive Director;
- Become personally involved in at least one aspect of the Chamber through the appropriate committee. Attending committee meetings is considered minimum involvement for a trustee;
- Become personally involved in Chamber sponsored events (including but not limited to festivals, fundraisers, volunteer recognition, etc.);
- Assuring the continuity of the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce, making emergency decisions when management cannot perform, and stepping in when crisis endangers the programs or existence of the chamber; and
- Maintaining the board as a healthy, well-organized governing body capable of helping the chamber achieve success.
Board members must wear the formal, governance hat. It is both a legal obligation and moral responsibility. The reality of the chamber is that board members also have to provide additional volunteer help if the chamber is to succeed.
- Helping in areas such as planning events, fund-raising, and community relations;
- Helping responsibilities will vary depending on the needs of the chamber;
- Board members and staff are partners in much of the work in the chamber and will serve the chamber best if a “team” attitude can be cultivated from the start.
Additionally, major decisions are discussed, debated, and decided with input and recommendations from the Executive Director, who has been hired to manage the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
Board Member responsibilities include attendance at monthly board meetings, where information is exchanged and decisions are made. Potential board members should plan to serve on at least two committees outside the monthly board meetings. The board develops committees to handle the workload of the board. In committees, board members can focus their attention and energy on one or two organizational concerns, rather than on every problem and opportunity. The board distributes its governing functions and responsibilities equitably among its members, and thus positions itself to maximize its effectiveness. The Board of Directors has up to 15 voting members. Terms are for (2) two years and all board members must represent chamber members in good standing at all times.
Time and Financial Considerations
Board positions require a time and energy commitment that should not be underestimated. Potential board members are urged to consider personal priorities for the next year as well as the ways to contribute to the development of the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- Board Meeting 2nd Thursday of each month from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Annual Board Retreat and any strategic planning sessions. The retreat will be in November and strategic planning events may be conducted at various times throughout the year as needed.
- Monthly Membership Meetings on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 4:00 pm.
- 6 of the 12 Monthly Networking meetings (2nd Friday of every month at 8:00 am)
- Designated Committee Meetings (Events, Finance, Education, Membership, Publications)
- Possible special meetings
As with any board, members will be solicited for sponsorships, cash donations, and in-kind donations; 100% participation is sought; the amount is optional.
- Submit the Board Application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attach additional pages of any information you would like to share that is relevant to considering you for a position within the Board of Directors.