Apply to be a Board Member
The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring excellent management of the organization.
The role of the board is to govern the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce. Inherent in the board’s governance role are two functions: protect member and public interest and enable the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to achieve its mission.
Protect the Public’s Interest:
The board’s job is to represent member and public interests and assure that the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce serves the membership and community effectively. The board accomplishes this oversight and evaluation function by keeping well informed about the activities of the Chamber and communicating appropriate information to the public. The board must make decisions that will guide the Chamber beyond concern for the mere survival of the Chamber, the reputation of board members, or the jobs of employees.
Enable the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to achieve its mission: The second function of the board is to enable the Chamber to effectively and successfully achieve its mission. Mission Statement: The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce strives to cultivate a vital environment for commerce and create opportunities for Island businesses and organizations to prosper, while enriching the unique quality of life for every Islander.
- Provide thoughtful input and guidance on the strategic direction of the organization;
- Hire, and (if necessary) fire the Executive Director;
- Become personally involved in at least one aspect of the Chamber through the appropriate committee participation. Attending monthly meetings and committee meetings is considered minimum involvement for a board member;
- Make a contribution that is personally meaningful to Chamber-sponsored events (including but not limited to festivals, fundraisers, programming etc.);
- Help assure the continuity of the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce and provide responsible oversight to ensure the long-term health of the organization;
- Act as an ambassador and actively steward existing membership and recruit new members;
- Actively participate and help maintain the board as a healthy, well-organized and effective governing body.
Board members are also expected to give of their time to help Chamber initiatives thrive:
- Volunteer for and help recruit volunteers for Chamber events;
- Regularly attend Chamber member programs;
- Additional responsibilities will vary depending on the needs of the Chamber.
Potential board members should also plan to serve on at least one committee of the board. The board develops committees to handle the workload of the board. In committees, board members can focus their attention and energy on one or two organizational concerns, rather than on every problem and opportunity. The board distributes its governing functions and responsibilities equitably among its members, and thus positions itself to maximize its effectiveness. Terms are for (2) two years and all board members must represent a Chamber member organization in good standing at all times.
Time and Financial Considerations
Potential board members are urged to consider personal priorities for the next year as well as the ways to contribute to the development of the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- 2023 meetings: second Wednesday of the month, 9am - 10.30am
- Annual Board Retreat and any strategic planning sessions; strategic planning events may be conducted at various times throughout the year as needed.
- Monthly Membership Meeting / Mixer on the 3rd Thursday of every month, alternating morning and evening.
As with any board, members will be solicited for sponsorships, cash donations, and in-kind donations; 100% participation is sought; the amount is optional.
Questions? Please email email@example.com