Unofficial Mayor Race
Now through Saturday, July 17, 2021
**Non-Profit to collect all donations and deliver a check of 15% of declared fundraising amount to Vashon Chamber of Commerce at close of contest on 7/17**
Run for Unofficial Mayor!
Make 2021 a Great Year & Raise Money for Your Favorite Island Non-Profit
THE ELECTION IS OPEN TO ANY VASHON-MAURY ISLAND RESIDENT
Every year, the Vashon-Maury Chamber of Commerce partners with Vashon Island nonprofits to hold a fundraiser where representatives ("Mayor Candidates") campaign for their non-profit of choice.
The candidates are encouraged to use various forms of fundraising to collect donations for their nonprofit. Every dollar is considered a vote, and at the end of the campaign, the candidate with the most votes wins!
We invite all non-profits to enter their candidate into the annual Vashon Unofficial Mayor Race. This is one place where buying a vote does good – by supporting our local non-profits.
CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS YEARS
Contestants may start collecting donations immediately after submitting this form and emailing an IRS certification from non-profit to firstname.lastname@example.org. If non-profit status cannot be verified the candidate will be disqualified. Deadline for Unofficial Mayor Candidate Application is July 1st.
- Non-profit responsible for collecting and tracking all donations
- Non-profit to deliver 15% of final donation amount to Chamber at close of contest to be eligible
- Diversify fundraising for better results! Online campaigns, events hosted by non-profit, candidate websites, and partnership with businesses to collect donations are all encouraged
- Chamber will NOT monitor, distribute, or track collection jars
- Non-Profit will be provided "Unofficial Mayor" logos for candidate and non-profit use
- Feel free to link vashonchamber.com/unofficial-mayor to advertisements
- The Chamber will promote and amplify contestants and encourage donation equally among candidates
How to Participate
Deadline for Unofficial Mayor Candidate Application:
How it works if you are a non-profit:
- Select a candidate to run.
- Fill out this Submission form
- Submit a copy of your IRS certification to the Chamber of Commerce by emailing to email@example.com
- You may begin fundraising after the above is complete (If non-profit cannot be verified, or candidacy is inappropriate for public promotion the candidate will be disqualified)
How it works if you are an individual wanting to support an non-profit:
- Select the non-profit you want to represent.
- Contact the non-profit and have them fill out this Submission form, listing you as the candidate.
- The non-profit needs to submit a copy of their IRS certification to the Chamber of Commerce
- You may begin fundraising after the non-profit approves you to do so
- One dollar equals one vote.
- One candidate per nonprofit.
- Campaigning and collecting votes/dollars can start once you have submitted the application
- Candidate will disqualify if non-profit status cannot be confirmed, or if candidacy is found inappropriate for public amplification (i.e Offensive, explicit, or competing with intended purpose of positive community engagement).
- Any money collected during your campaign time can be accounted for as Unofficial Mayor votes.
- Selected nonprofits must be Vashon-based 501C3 organizations.
- Voting ends noon on Saturday July 17th.
- You are responsible for tallying up the money you raised, and then reporting the amount to Steven Brewer & Carly Nelson at the merchandise booth at 12 noon.
- Your non-profit organization may keep 85% of the money you raise, with the remainder going to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce. This can be paid by check or bank transfer by July 28, 2021.
- The candidate with the most money raised is elected Unofficial Mayor.
- The winner is verified by The Chamber Board of Directors July 17th, 2021.
- The winner will be announced at 8 pm at the Strawberry Festival main stage (IGA Parking lot).
- The mayoral term lasts until the following year's Mayor is elected.