Run for Unofficial Mayor!
Make 2020 a Great Year & Raise Money for Your Favorite Island Non-Profit
Have you always wanted to run for office? Here is your chance to become the Unofficial Mayor of Vashon-Maury Island and support your favorite island non-profit organization at the same time!
The election is open to any Vashon-Maury Island resident.
- Partner with your favorite island-based non-profit. The non-profit should provide the Chamber with a signed letter from the non-profit declaring your mayoral campaign - DEADLINE IS JUNE 15, 2020!
- Agree to the candidacy terms here.
- Announce your candidacy with a Press Release to be posted on the Chamber website.
- The Chamber will work with you to set up your fundraiser in our store. Once you have a link, post it everywhere you can find!
- Raise money!
If You Win
You will be invited to participate in Chamber-sponsored island events throughout the year. Even if you don't win, your non-profit still wins because you raised money and awareness for their mission.
The Fine Print
The Unofficial Mayor Contest is a joint campaign by The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce and participating Vashon Island charities.
- Your non-profit organization will receive 85% of the money you raise, with the remainder going to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce is the fiscal agent of the contest.
- Selected non-profits must be Vashon-based 501C3 organizations.
- The participating non-profit must submit a letter giving the candidate permission to fundraise for them and copy of their IRS certification to the Chamber of Commerce by May 30, 2020
- Voters can pay by check, cash, or credit card to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- Mayoral candidates must get permission from business owners to place donation jars at business locations.
- Checks must be addressed to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to qualify.
- Cash from jars will be collected by the Chamber of Commerce office.
- The candidate with the most money raised is elected Unofficial Mayor.
- The winner is verified by the Chamber Board of Directors July 18th, 2020
- The Chamber will provide each non-profit with an accounting of funds collected and issue a check to the charity by the end of July.
- Winner will be announced on July 19th, 2020.
- The mayoral term lasts until the following year's Mayor is elected or by a majority vote of the Chamber Board.