Every year, the Vashon-Maury Chamber of Commerce partners with Vashon Island nonprofits to hold a fundraiser where representatives ("Mayor Candidates") campaign for their non-profit of choice.
The candidates utilize ballot boxes and online fundraising to collect donations for their nonprofit. Every dollar is considered a vote, and at the end of the campaign, the candidate with the most votes wins!
The Unofficial Mayor is recognized by the Chamber in events throughout their term.
Unofficial, Officially On October 16th, the Unofficial Mayors gathered in a safe and socially distancing appropriate manner to receive the key from our previous Unofficial Mayor, Eirene. Congratulations again to Vashon’s newest Unofficial Mayors! The Chamber looks forward to working with you over the next year and learning more about the ideas and plans you…Read More
The Vashon Sisters are the winning Unofficial Mayors of Vashon having raised a total of $9402.81! Vashon Sisterhood candidates were comprised of 4 strong & smart young ladies; Raena, Selene, Maarten & Lucca. Vashon Sisterhood’s mission is to honor the feminine, empower youth, build connections, and create space for listening, sharing, mentorship, and support. Way to go ladies!
Overall, the 4 participating local non-profit organizations pulled in a whopping total of $20,576.24!Read More
Unofficial Mayor Rally Are you ready to RALLY?! Well, our Unofficial Mayor Candidates certainly are! Tune in Monday, July 13th at 1 pm to meet the Unofficial Mayor Candidates, pose questions, and hear more about their non-profit of choice. Add this link to your calendar: https://youtu.be/NjyK94BCSbs and we will look forward to seeing you live!Read More
Run for Unofficial Mayor!
Make 2020 a Great Year & Raise Money for Your Favorite Island Non-Profit
Have you always wanted to run for office? Here is your chance to become the Unofficial Mayor of Vashon-Maury Island and support your favorite island non-profit organization at the same time!
The election is open to any Vashon-Maury Island resident.
- Partner with your favorite island-based non-profit. The non-profit should provide the Chamber with a signed letter from the non-profit declaring your mayoral campaign - DEADLINE IS JUNE 15, 2020!
- Agree to the candidacy terms here.
- Announce your candidacy with a Press Release to be posted on the Chamber website.
- The Chamber will work with you to set up your fundraiser in our store. Once you have a link, post it everywhere you can find!
- Raise money!
If You Win
You will be invited to participate in Chamber-sponsored island events throughout the year. Even if you don't win, your non-profit still wins because you raised money and awareness for their mission.
The Fine Print
The Unofficial Mayor Contest is a joint campaign by The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce and participating Vashon Island charities.
- Your non-profit organization will receive 85% of the money you raise, with the remainder going to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- The Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce is the fiscal agent of the contest.
- Selected non-profits must be Vashon-based 501C3 organizations.
- The participating non-profit must submit a letter giving the candidate permission to fundraise for them and copy of their IRS certification to the Chamber of Commerce by June 15, 2020
- Voters can pay by check, cash, or credit card to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce.
- Mayoral candidates must get permission from business owners to place donation jars at business locations.
- Checks must be addressed to the Vashon-Maury Island Chamber of Commerce to qualify.
- Cash from jars will be collected by the Chamber of Commerce office.
- The candidate with the most money raised is elected Unofficial Mayor.
- The winner is verified by the Chamber Board of Directors July 18th, 2020
- The Chamber will provide each non-profit with an accounting of funds collected and issue a check to the charity by the end of July.
- Winner will be announced on July 19th, 2020.
- The mayoral term lasts until the following year's Mayor is elected or by a majority vote of the Chamber Board.